Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Who Does Doll Think She Is?

Here's a bit about me: I switched high schools right before my junior year - I walked straight into Frederick Douglass High School in Atlanta as a new face among people who had been going to school together for years.  Immediately, I was top of the class . . . on the Northstarettes (dance team) . . . had a popular boyfriend at our rival school . . . I was singing and performing so exceptionally that I got Jane Fonda's attention . . . recorded a Billboard Top 40 record with a gospel group in my spare time . . . won almost $1 million in music and academic scholarships including one to Harvard. I wasn't tryin' to achieve these things, I was just generally living my life and doin' it big 'cause that's the only way I know how to do it.  People who didn't know me used to whisper about me all the time: "Who does she think she is?"

My life has changed in a lot of ways since then, but some things are the same.  I have had my personal struggles, but I have also traveled the world and I have an unshakeable faith and philosophy about life.  Now that I am making a name for myself doing what I love--music--and building a media company (developing TV shows, writing books, publishing two magazines, starting a fashion line and more), some people may be (not-so) secretly thinking the same thing: "Who does this Doll think she is?"  Well here is my answer:

0. If you don't know me yet, you are about to so you might as well get ready for me.
1. I don't think I am anyone, I KNOW who I am . . . a blessed child of God
2. I don't just jump into things . . . I take everything that I do seriously and surround myself with the best people to make sure that I do it all brilliantly. Pride is thinking you can do everything and thinking you know everything.  Humility is KNOWING that you can do nothing on your own and depending on God to shine His light through you.
3. The real question is, who are YOU and what are YOU willing to let shine out of your Diamond Mind?  The world is yours - go get it!

That's my word for today.

My schedule for today: I have to record a few demo tracks to get ready for my studio session on Friday. But first I have to finish getting this new blog and twitter thing set up . . . I know I am late getting on twitter but I was avoiding it!  Now that I'm doin' it, though, it's fun . . .

Peace from The Dollhouse -->

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on Your Diamond Mind? Tell me what you think about this.