Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Ryan Leslie Story (Mr. Right vs. Your Dreams Pt. 2)

Here's how I know Ryan:

When I was singing, writing songs, and performing at Harvard, I did so alongside some talented folks, including International R&B superstar Ryan Leslie (Britney Spears, Cassie, Danity Kane).  No, he's not the Mr. Right mentioned in the title: we were just friends.  Here's the connection to yesterday's post:

Back at Harvard, I recorded a song with Ryan and another friend of ours for a special project Ryan was doin'.  I was a popular vocalist/performer on campus/around Boston at the time, and Ryan and I had always performed in the same talent shows/had respect for each other, etc.  So we co-wrote and recorded the song (I found it the other day; I was even rappin' on the song--LOL--but it was actually a good track).  Ryan was a great producer even then.  Anyway, something happened after the session and Ryan lost everything we had done.  He needed to re-record all the vocals.  He asked me more than once to come back in the studio with him.  I told him no.

Ryan never knew why I said no.  He went on and did his thing without me.  But the real reason I "couldn't" re-record is because my then-boyfriend (we later eloped, then the 5+ year hiatus from music that I talked about in yesterday's post) didn't want me to do it. There were early signs even then (which I should have picked up on) that my boyfriend was jealous of my performing and my popularity (I had just had my acting debut in the Cambridge Theater a few months prior).  He basically wanted me all to himself.  I was so in love, I wanted to show him that he was more important to me than my music.  Well, I can tell you now how naive that was! 

He was important to me, but ladies, no man you are not married to should be coming between you and what you love to do.  What on earth?! If he wasn't ready for all that I was doing (I walked away from quite a few other MAJOR opportunities for this man; I just didn't know any better at the time), then he wasn't ready for me.  I was just so scared that I would lose him.  Silly me.  If you have to be less of yourself to keep your man, ladies, he is not the one.  How hard is that to figure out?  Took me much too long; once I got into the relationship, even when everything fell apart, I stayed because I wanted to show that I was loyal, that I wasn't selfish.  But truth of it all is: when it comes to your dreams, you gotta keep your eyes on the prize.

Ryan ended up getting signed by Diddy; he just got a nomination for BET Best New Artist this year. And believe it or not, Ryan wasn't the only famous friend I came up in the game with.  (Yes, I have more stories like this one! How crazy is that!) But fortunately, I never stopped singing, writing, and believing, and I was able to get back in stride before it was too late. 

I will never forget how it felt the day my friends started texting me saying "You'll never believe it!  I just heard Ryan Leslie on the radio!  I just saw him on BET!"  I was so happy for him, and more determined than ever to follow my passions and share my gift with the world.  Ryan is a genius (If you don't know, you HAVE TO check him out: www.ryanleslie.com).  He hustled hard and let that genius out of his Diamond Mind.  Now the world is richer for it.  I am letting mine out now, and I am telling you, you've gotta let yours shine too!  You never know where it will take you.

That's my gem for today.

My schedule for today:

I am planning a big event (a Ladies-Only Celebration of Inspiration) for my magazine in Atlanta in January 2010 so I need to make a few phone calls.  (I hope all you ladies will join me. Hey, since Ryan inspired me, maybe I'll ask him to come! He was named one of New York's 50 Most Desirable Bachelors, so you girls will like that I'm sure!)  But I will spend most of my day today workin' on the lyrics for "Who's Dat Lady" (new joint) and getting ready to re-record the vocals for "Wishing Well."  I am making a video of these studio sessions, so you guys will be able to check it out soon.

Peace from The Dollhouse -->

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on Your Diamond Mind? Tell me what you think about this.